An Hour with Vista and Knoppix 5.1.1

Home Forums Mightor Technologies An Hour with Vista and Knoppix 5.1.1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant

Ya I found out that Norton Anti-Virus 2006 doesn't work in Vista, which sucks.  One thing I thought was awesome was last week I decided that I had deleted a bunch of large file from my HD so I should take a look at the defrag tool, I get it up and see that it has been automatically defraging my hard drive every week at 3am on Tuesdays, so that was cool, I didn't even know it was doing that.  Video playback isn't working at all, try to play a video after you've taken out of sleep and it blue screens.  I recently dled the new pirates trailer and transformers trailer in .avi and .mov, didn't work and didn't work.  Sound plays fine but the video plays for two secs then stops for 20 secs then plays a few more secs and then stops and then the movie ends.  Scrub the slider back and fourth and you see every frame play it and it stalls. So I don't know whats wrong there.  My games work fine and my Work apps work fine so thats great.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

My suggestion there, since the fact that putting the computer to sleep has always been an annoyance, even in XP, is to turn that setting off.  These settings have not changed much.  If you go into the Power Options in the Control Panel, you can set the system to never go to sleep.  Even though its supposed to save on electricity or whatnot, I find it to be an annoyance, especially on a desktop that should be constantly on.  I do agree that its an issue that needs to be addressed.  Im wondering, what version of Vista?  Im running Vista Business here at home.  Im wondering if its just an issue with the home versions or with all versions of Vista.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Well, I finally got around to tinkering with something other than Merchant Plus! (the software I write at work).  Today I was able to do some work with Knoppix 5.1.1 and with Vista.  Ive posted my findings so far on the MT site (http://mt.mightorindustries.net). 

Here's an overview:

Knoppix 5.1.1 – I want to be able to run Knoppix but in an environment where I can customize it.  Turns out this can be done by adding a USB stick into the picture.

Vista – I spent an hour with Vista this evening and found some things I liked and some things I didnt (more that I didnt than did).

By the way, it would be handy to see updates to the subsites of Mightor Industries as they come in automatically, rather than have to create a post.  Gives me an idea.  Perhaps one day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.