CD’s that dont like other PC’s

Home Forums Hardware CD’s that dont like other PC’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, I've noticed before that once I burn a CD (data), I can't get it to read on anything thing or any other computer except on the drive that it was burned on.  Didn't always do it, just from time to time.  The type of software used didn't seem to matter, and the same settings that were always used to burn were unchanged.

Sometimes I noticed that was Windows acting strange with it, and sometimes I noticed it only happened with certain brands of CD's, and a big important factor I've found out is burning speed.  I've had all kinds of trouble burning CD's over 16X, even ones that supported higher speeds (can't burn audio CD's over 24X anyway due to the white noise that can get introduced).

I've just learned over time, that good brand CD's (I've had my best luck with Sony's and the older Durabrand/Walmart gray CD's), and giving a few extra minutes for the burn (16X or slower), usually gives me the best, most predictable results.

Although, that hasn't always worked.  Some CD's that won't read on other PC's, I've just usually given up on it, or tried later.

(Also burning in old 8+3 file names, instead of using Joilet format has solved some of my issues too.)

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I'll tell you what, for the money, those Walmart CD's were pretty damn good.  I still have a stack of those CD's I bought at the computer show we were at….although I havent burned anything to them in awhile. 

I rarely burn CD's but when I do, they usually work.  I'll have to try them at a slower speed and see if that has any effect.  Could be Windows as well.  Its kind of a flaky install.  Once I get a decent CD to burn, I ought to be in good shape.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Apparently Im having some kind of issue when I burn CD's.  Ive been using Nero 6 to burn ISO's for awhile and never used to have any problems.  However, Ive noticed over the last several months that whenever I burn an ISO using Nero on my desktop PC, the CD's will only boot from that computer.  One thing I have not yet tried is to use ISORecorder, which is what I use on my laptop. 

I realize the computer may need a reload, as its due anyway.  But Ive never understood why this sort of thing happens.  The only thing I could think of was that I didnt finalize the CD's, but the CD still booted from the computer it was burned on.  I tried burning two different bootable ISO's to CD, and tried booting to them using two different CDROM drives (one a DVD Burner, the other a CD Burner) and neither responded. 

I'll have to try loading ISO Burner on that PC and see if the CD's actually boot. 

On another note, I attempted to use my generic XP image earlier and while it pushed the image down, the image doesnt seem to like the particular board Im using.  Just another irritation in the saga of getting this particular PC finished

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.