Final Project in Computer Science

Home Forums Resources Final Project in Computer Science

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant

Thats awesome, front page and everything.  I liked the comment that it should be

a group project so the class learns how to work with a bunch morons, although the reply is true that it would only

encourage leaching.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I hate group projects for that very reason, and if I were teaching that course, I

would find some way to grade on individual performance through some sort of interview process or demo.  If you

dont know your software or the pieces that are written, then its very easy to grade that way.  There are

several things I have thought about regarding that.  As much as I hate group projects, though, very seldom do

you do that kind of work on your own, which is the entire point of the course, which is to introduce students to the

entire process, including morons who dont do their work.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

So I had some discussion with a professor at Walsh University, where I went to

school.  And I started to convey to him an idea i had about a final project for a Computer Science

degree.  Ive found that in my own experience, there were pieces of the software development cycle that I hadnt

yet been introduced to.  I also know that you cant all real world experience inside the classroom. 

However, I do feel that understanding and experiencing the development process is very important.  I recently

posted a story to Slashdot about this very subject (which I think is quite awesome by the way, since I waited a

month for it to be posted).  I find the comments to what Ive posted to be incredibly interesting and wondered

what the rest of you thought as well. 

http://ask.slashdot.org/asksla…..6230.shtml

Tim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.