Inactive Accounts

Home Forums The Server Room Inactive Accounts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I agree with your posting rules, but I think we should make the time period longer, say a new user must post within 30 days of signing up, then post again within 30 days (essentially giving them up to two months).  Im also willing to, if someone signs up and doesnt post within the alloted time period,send them an email seeing if they wish to be active.  If no response is given within 15 days, the account should be terminated.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, that seems to be a good idea.  Have you sent an email to the 2 newbies yet?  If so, and you haven't had a response, I'd say it'd be time to delete their accounts.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I sent one out to the first new registration, but havent heard anything.  And I sent out that mass email after the upgrade, and havent seen him sign on yet.  I think Im just going to trash the accounts.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I found three inactive accounts on the system.  Ive sent an email out saying that if no response is received in the next 7 days, the accounts will be terminated.  If by next monday, if I havent received anything, I'll remove the accounts.  Someone may have to remind me though…

Gweg
    Keymaster

UPDATE:

Ok, we have a new member that hasn't posted anything.  Might be a Google Bot.  The user has until Feb. 1 to post, and then he gets, what an email, and then a few more days, and if nothing after that, I say the account needs trashed.

Have we posted anything about that in either the rules section or anything like that.  If not, I think we need too.

Going to check right now.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I noticed that too.  I think the post you wrote and the new board for new member intros are both a good idea.  At least it makes it clear.  At some point, I may take a look at the registration process and alter it with the rules in there.  That way, at least new members see what they're expected to do.  You can still read posts without signing up, so it seems pointless to me to sign up if you have no intentions of posting.  If you're here to read, fine.  Otherwise, sign up and friggin POST.

Gweg
    Keymaster
    tcolvinMI wrote:
    If you're here to read, fine.  Otherwise, sign up and friggin POST.

Exactly.

Gweg
    Keymaster

I've been thinking, and also looked into them, that we need to come up with some kinda rule about accounts.  I think mainly to cut down on unused accounts and spam accounts.  I think, it may seem a bit harsh, but a new account most post or reply to a topic within the first 14 days of signing up, and then post or reply to at least 4 more topics within 30 days after signing up their account.

I want to do something like this now, since we are still are small, and have control over that.  Cuz it bothers the crap out of me that people sign up and don't make a single post.  That goes really for people we don't know (all the people we do know, are good for it, so their accounts stay anyway).  If we ever become bigger, that might change.  Something we should discuss, and if you want to add or change what I mentioned, just let me know, and we can work out a middle ground.

So, I figure once we get these new rules in place, we should just delete those 2 new accounts that haven't even posted anything, cuz I almost have the feeling they are spam accounts, although they really haven't posted anything.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.