Joomla: A Pain In My Rear

Home Forums Mightor Industries Development Joomla: A Pain In My Rear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I have to admit, thats been my success rate with Joomla as well.  The documentation for Joomla was definitely lacking the last time I had a look at it.  I havent gandered at it since then, because I had similar frustrations.  Joomla is enormously more complex than Woodpress, but it appears as the developers of WordPress took their time to organize things right, and this has paid off for them.  I'll be happy to take a look at what you have and see if there's something I can do with it.

Im curious, why Joomla?  What is it that Joomla gives you that WordPress might not?  I have to tell you that Im incredibly pleased, minus my little issues Im having with converting the forum, with how WordPress is functioning.  It has most of what every CMS would want and Im certain that tying into other packages isnt an issue, once you figure out which ones work best.

Let me know if you want me to look at it and I'll be more than happy to do so, as time permits.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with WordPress, it hurt my brain so much less.  I was going with Joomla so I could go with the whole site thing.  I can probably make it work with WordPress.

I'll have to go in and remove the Joomla files, and I should clear the database, to start fresh.  I'm guessing Joomla could be nice, but with so much lacking documentation, I don't have the time to mess with it.  I really thought it'd be easier than it is, as I had lots of luck with MediaWiki and WordPress.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Well, WordPress will give you much of the same capabilities that Joomla will, as far as from a design perspective.  You can create menus and its a lot simpler.  One of the things I like about the new version of WordPress is the dynamic sidebar using widgets (which Im sure there are more of them than what I have). 

One of the things Im posting about tomorrow on the main site is what makes an open source package work, and usability and documentation are certainly two of those things.  WordPress, in my opinion, is far superior to all other CMS's because of their documentation and organization.  It just works.

I think, for sanity's sake, you'll find it a lot wiser decision.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Dumped Joomla.

I just recently removed all the Joomla files from the /mp directory, and cleared the database.  Just finished uploading and installing WordPress.  My sanity is going to thank me for this one.  Right now I'm playing with themes on my local install, to see what I like best, and how I want it laid out.  But, I should have something on the MP site by the end of today, or tomorrow by the latest (excluding a new banner, as I don't have my laptop with me today, and today seems a lot busier than yesterday).

Thumbs up to WordPress!!  All that's left now is (as for the major stuff) is getting the wiki installed, but that's for later (after the forum upgrade).  New things on the horizon, dude.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Well, I think we'll want to plan a bit more on the wiki, to see exactly how we want to handle that, what kind of content we want to put in there, etc.

Glad to see things are working out with WordPress.  Cant say enough good things about it.  As I mentioned last night, haven't been this excited about this stuff in awhile.  Gonna mess around more with the forum tonight, but if all goes well, Im looking for Friday night to convert.  May take some time tonight to get a development copy of wordpress installed to mimic what we have in production and see what I need to do to get the conversion done real time.  I'll keep you posted on that.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Okay, I've been messing around with Joomla all day today, and the only thing I managed to accomplish is put up an article.  That's it.  I can't seem to get anything else to work.  I have no idea how to create, add, or remove menu items.  The documentation on how to make a site is worthless on Joomla's site, and tutorials around the web aren't much better.

Now, it may be that I'm running on less than 2 hours of sleep, but it seems more work to edit a Joomla template than it is to just design a web page from scratch.  I seriously hope I don't have to edit tons and tons of code just so I can get a link in a menu on the left side of the page to take me to a different page on the site.  But, if that's the kind of crap it's going to take, I'm gonna be moving to WordPress instead.  I thought this stuff was supposed to make working with pages easier.

Tim, maybe if you get some time, since you've worked with it before, maybe you can give me some pointers on where to start and where to go, because my frustration level with this is way too high, and my patience level is through the floor.  I'll have to re-examine this once I get some more sleep (assuming my new mattress arrives today).

WordPress and MediaWiki work the way they're supposed too, with detailed options, and simple editing (although MediaWiki has a bit of setup involved – it's community actually wrote detailed, thought-out documentation that could be followed, not vague paragraphs with 90% of the links missing, which is exactly how the Joomla documentation is).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.