Linux and UBCD – Things That Could Save Your Life

Home Forums Resources Linux and UBCD – Things That Could Save Your Life

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

This is a good recommendation.  I always keep a Linux LiveCD of some sort (usually Knoppix because of its plethora of tools) around for diagnostic use.  The Universal Boot CD Ive heard of before, but have not used much.  It is handy for the things that Greg mentioned, plus some other things.  Handy tools to definitely have around.

Ive had some issues where Ive needed Windows to recognize a hard disk in order to get files off the disk.  When my hard drive crashed last year, the only way for me to get my data off the computer was to boot into knoppix, access the drive, then copy the data from the disk to a USB drive. 

I definitely recommend having at least these tools around, just in case. 

Another useful tool to have is ProcessExplorer or just about any process tool from Wininternals.  They have tools that will allow you to see all sorts of things for running processes.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Because of my recent computer troubles, I've had to look into alternative sources for being able to get my computer running long enough to get back into it.  I'm posting these links because I think many people could find this useful.

First thing:  A Linux live bootable CD, such as Knoppix — http://www.knoppix.net/ , with the newest version being 5.1.1 (build 2007-01-04).  I haven't used this thing in years.  The coolest part about a live CD is the the fact that you can pop it into your CD-Rom drive, and you get a Linux OS without any modifications to your installed OS, it runs completely off the CD.  Awesome, ain't it?  If Windows is being a pain, you can use this to get into your computer and try and solve the problem (that's what I did).

Another useful tool:  The Ultimate Boot CD — http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ .  I just found this thing the other day.  Now, I haven't got a chance to use this yet, but it looks extremely promising.  Should come in handy when I need an easy way to format my hard drive when Windows isn't working, or a way to diagnose a computer when I don't have any old MS-DOS bootable floppies or when no one around you seems to even own a FLOPPY DRIVE (don't ask, a long story).  You just pop this CD in, and it's own menu loads up with tons of different tools.  It's almost like having all those old diagnostic tools that used to be on floppies all neatly put onto a fast-accessing CD.

These could come in real handy, and probably as I discover more tools like these, I'll add them to the list.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.