My experience w/ Vista

Home Forums Mightor Technologies My experience w/ Vista

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant

Woo Hoo, I've been looking forward to seeing what you think of Vista.  I'm probably not going to get it for a while but I've still been thinking of weather or not to buy the upgrade or the full.  I've seen a lot of sites that say the upgrade leaves a load of unnecessary files and poorly functioning xp programs on your machine.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

If you're going to get Vista, get the full version.  Ive heard the OEM versions are cheap, so that might be the way to go.  Ive recently installed a fresh copy of XP and upgraded to Vista, which goes fine, by the way.  The other wouldnt allow me to activate using the product key I had.  Performing a clean install is important to me and being able to do it easily is also important.  It seems to me that Microsoft hasnt allowed this to occur, probably because they want you buying a full release.

As far as some details, Vista really doesnt take any longer to boot than XP.  Of course, with 128 MB video, a gig of ram and a 3.0 Ghz processor, it isnt bad.

In the next day or so, I'll post some screen shots of Vista and what it can do.

Scott
    Participant

Have you tried out the ReadyBoost function in Vista yet?  I don't know why I haven't heard about it before today, it sounds awesome.  I'm sure it probably doesn't help a whole lot but just the theory of plugging in a 1 to 4 Gig flash drive and making it act as an extra gigs of RAM for the computer is so cool.  I saw it can go up to 4 Gigs using only USB flash drives.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I have not yet tried that, but it seems promising.  And really all ReadyBoost does is acts as a placement for the page file, rather than acting as extra ram.  The nice thing about it is because flash memory is faster than hard disks, moving data in and out of the page file will be a lot faster.  I'll look into it and see what I can find

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Found a decent article about ReadyBoost.  Seems to have some picky specs though.  Im gonna have to dig up my USB drive and see if it'll work with it.  If not, its off to Newegg to find one that will.

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarche…..15199.aspx

Scott
    Participant

It's a very cool feature, I was reading an article on gamespot where they did tests with game frames per second.  A 512 ram machine with one gig of ReadyBoost improved game play by 50 fps, surprisingly even a 2 gig gaming rig with the one gig ReadyBoost showed 10 fps improvement.

Oh ya, I saw that there is a performance monitor that tracks all the errors that go on in the computer and charts them putting them into categories like app failure, hardware fail, windows fail.  Looks like a pretty cool feature.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Yeah, there are some enhancements to the Event Viewer as well that track much of the same thing.  Im glad Microsoft finally started realizing that we need these types of tools.  Although a lot of the reasons for this is awhile back Microsoft bought Wininternals, which provides applications for more detailed monitoring of performance and processes.  Ive used their Process Explorer before for some things here at work and it shows a lot of different things, including what files are associated to a process.  Very handy to have if you're trying to find a memory leak.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

So Ive decided to start documenting my experience with Windows Vista.  Its funny how our copy came on the release date.  Im just now getting around to installing it.  Im about to post on the MT site the first part of what Ive seen so far.  The installation process will be covered in some detail as thats where I plan to start.

Check the site for more details

http://mt.mightorindustries.net

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.