No Longer Running In The Fast Lane

Home Forums Hardware No Longer Running In The Fast Lane

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Chances are, its probably the board.  Im willing to bet that if you changed out the drives, you'd find the same result.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, if I had a spare IDE I'd try it.  Hard part would be getting it to act up.  It's so random.  Well, all my important data is get externally, and if something in that computer decides it wants to screw with Windows again, it can.  I'll just reload and go about my business.

Practically impossible to find an AMD64 754 board anymore.  I'll just go with it, not too big of a deal right now.  If I had the spare cash, I'd get a PS unit for my workstation, and get that thing back up and running.  It'd be nice to use that thing again.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I have a spare drive if you need it.  Maybe try swamping them out and see if it has any effect.  Let me know.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Well, this problem is on hold right now.

My dad's computer decided to start acting strange today.

Post here: http://www.mightorindustries.n…..opic=168.0

Gweg
    Keymaster

So, after some time, I'm back with a new post about my computer, and it's wonderful assortment of problems.

Since my MFT problems, I've had very little issue with this computer.  Except that a couple of times I had the system registry files go corrupt on me for absolutely no reason at all, once last summer ('07), and another this past summer ('08).  I just reinstalled Windows, and problem was gone.

Now, I've been noticing a lot of slow down with this computer.  It's random too.  Like, last week, I had just booted my computer.  It sat for awhile before I got back to it.  I open 'My Computer', and I swear, it took almost 30 seconds to list my drives.  That's always been almost instantaneous, even with all my external drives (4 HDD's, and 1 CD-RW); and there were no discs in any of the CD drives.  I've just noticed slow downs in general, especially in bringing up directory listings.  Interestingly enough though, Maya, the resource hog that it is, hasn't hit one slow down yet.

I know computers slow down with age, but this is sporadic — it has no pattern at all, and can run for days without and issue, and then suddenly, BOOM, screeching to a halt.  I keep it clean up temp files and web caches.  I defrag every few days.

I don't know, I think this computer is reaching the end of its lifespan, but I need to try and hold on as long as possible.  Like in my previous threads, it's either that 80 GB SATA HDD (primary drive) or the motherboard that I believe going — probably a result of that Ultra X-Connect power supply going out.

I'll post more here if anything else shows up, but like I said, probably not much I can do at this point with this computer other than try and run with it for as long as possible.  Hey, if anything happens to it, I still have my trusty old 950MHz (named MP3) to use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.