Site Overhaul and Layout Changes

Home Forums Mightor Industries Development Site Overhaul and Layout Changes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gweg
    Keymaster

I know I said I won't discuss it here, but it does all somewhat tie together: the installation of the Wiki.

I was thinking, and I know you're busy, that maybe some weekend when we're both free, we could plan on tackling the installation of the Wiki.  The installation doesn't appear that difficult, but I know little to nothing about some of the things that are running on the site, such as the SQL database, and versions of both mySQL and PHP; or even what admin access (if any) I would need to either add or install the Wiki database.

I assume the server has a web admin portal, which probably allows much more options and access than the http://FTP.  Of course, if it exists, I have no idea of how to get to it or even log in.

Also, that reminds me, the Joomla installation looks pretty easy, but I have no idea where it's installed to; yet again, probably through a method or area of the server I don't know about.

Sorry to be posting all this stuff lately, I'm just trying to gather information so I can get chunks of the new site up and running.  I think, also, down the road we should get the forum updated, and I would like to actually make a real front page for the MI site – either something simple in HTML, or using some type of plug-in or add-on (like Joomla or WordPress).

Also, do you happen remember what the login info is for the update tool on the MP site.  I actually want to make an update, but I don't remember what I need to log in, ha, sorry!

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

On the update tool: I have no idea, I'd have to go back and look at it, as I havent looked at it in ages!

Joomla's pretty basic to set up.  The biggest issue is templates and presentation, thats where the custom coding comes in.  Nothing outside of our realm though, just needs to be thought out.

If you want to overhaul the MP site, we can certainly come up with something and I'd be happy to help in any way I can.  Lets talk about this offline sometime and we'll get some plans together to start hammering something out.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Ive been wanting to do a site overhaul for quite some time, but haven't had the time to do it all myself.  I'd love for both of us to tackle it together, so Im not the only one able to maintain it.  Ultimately, I'd like to get to the point where we're able to have a nice frontpage on MI.  What I would really like is to be able to link to affiliate sites and be able to post updates that way.  I havent really thought about it much lately and I havent even looked at Joomla since 1.4 at least, so there's some work to be done.  Also havent looked at WordPress in the recent past either.  Either of those tools would be good, it just depends on what kind of content you want to post.  WordPress is more of a blogging tool only, whereas Joomla has other abilities.  Im all for trying to figure out Joomla and what it would take to get a site designed with it.  I think you could even base the site on the Wiki format.  Really just depends on what the intention is.  Regardless of what we use for the MI site, I'd really like to integrate the forum into whatever we're doing.  The forum design needs an overhaul as well, and I'd love to integrate that into whatever we do.  As far as the MP site is concerned, as I said, I'll be more than happy to help with the design of that.  I know that if you wanted to showcase some of your artwork, there are plugins that you can add to Joomla that would allow you to do so.

Lots of things to think about here, but ultimately, what I'd like to get to is a point where we're not thinking about the design.  I want CONTENT!!!! And a Community!

Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I think once we implement these new technologies and changes, would should be able then to focus on content, because at that point, software will pretty much be in charge of design.

I've been playing around with local installs of Joomla and WordPress, trying to get a feel for both.  I am going to be using one of those on the MP site, just not sure which yet.  That'll be decided when I figure out exactly what I want to do with the future MP site – content, news, information, something else?  That question is my real roadblock that this point.  I should just sit down and plan out what I want, but I'm not sure I know what I want yet.

Yeah, my plans for the future of the MI site are more than it just being a portal for the other sites (which by the way, I think we need to do a count on all current subdomains, and how many we have left that we're allowed to register).  I mean, MI is it's own entity, and I'd like to someday be able to represent that.  That, at least to me at this point, is also still an unknown on exactly how.  I know the forum and the wiki will tie in together with MI – as I would love to be able to have certain forum members also allowed to work with the wiki.  I would also, like you said, be able to tie the affiliate sites in somehow with MI.  Danny is now in full control of Attic, Inc., he just needs to get back to updating it.  I believe Smakk Studios is in need of a complete retooling – no longer just stupid videos (as Danny put it the other night – “We're getting old”), but actual video production (Danny has that knowledge from doing video work for the radio station).  We may also be getting another affiliate (through Attic), LanOC, as we know the guys (we've gone to 3 of their LAN's so far), and Danny has become one of the site's reviewers.

For now, though, I'm thinking of putting something up on the MI front page, linking to the other sites, and maybe describing the future projects at the MI site.  I might throw something together quickly this weekend, just to get something there.

Man, we have got a lot of crap to talk about Friday night.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I agree, we have a lot to talk about.

I think for the MI main site, at least, initially, I'd love to be able to have it be at least a WordPress blog, so that we can post updates.  We can link to other sites easily enough.  If we wanted to get more fancy with it, we can do that, but I really want to get AWAY from thinking about the designs, because it detracts from the actual content and turning these sites into something.  And quite frankly, I dont think either of us have the time for all of that crap anymore.

If we decide to go down the WordPress route, we can probably put a fairly simplistic design together over the weekend, and just go off of that so we can focus on a sweeter design later.  Doesnt have to be pretty, just has to function.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Was just kind of wondering about this as well, when I looked at it this morning.  Are the posts on the main site (MI) going to archive themselves at some point?  If not, that page is going to get very long.  Didn't know if that was something you had to do, or if WP did it automatically.  Of course, I could look too – but that won't be til later today.

Nothing big, just had me thinking.

Also, I was wondering, when you have time, if you could figure what the code is for putting a time stamp on the posts.  Cuz I'd like to add that into my theme, since it doesn't have it.  But that's not a huge thing right now, just one of those features I'd like to add in the future.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

The default appears to be 10 posts.  I can throttle it down to 5 (which might not be a bad idea).  Lets get some content up there first and make sure the setting works, then we'll throttle it back if we need to.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Yes, it is possible to add the time stamp.  I'll go back through the MI theme and see what the specific code is to do that (because I dont remember…Im on info overload at the moment!).  Once I figure it out, I'll send it to you

Gweg
    Keymaster

No hurry dude, take your time, I've been kinda busy this week so far anyway.  I was also kind of wondering if we could get another subdomain that I can use for the art side of my site.  I still need to come up with a name, and I need to find a good gallery plugin for WP (or something similar), so no needing to jump on it right away.  I probably won't be putting any new drawings or anything like that on it (mostly the old stuff), but since I got a nice camera for Christmas, I have been planning on going out this spring and summer and getting snapshots, so I'll probably be putting a lot of those up in the future.

Anyway, just a heads up.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

The MI theme uses the following code in the index.php to determine the date and time.

Written on at , by .

You should have something similar in your theme.  If not, send me the index.php file and I'll parse through it.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Thanks for the code dude, got it added in, and works perfectly!!

Gweg
    Keymaster

Ok, dude, I've mentioned overhauling the site (I want to at least start with the MP site).  The wiki is for the other topic (in General Tech).  This is about the actual changes to the site.  I haven't really decided on what I want yet.  I've thought about something along the lines of WordPress, but then I came across the MIDev site, and saw that you were running Joomla on it.  That's almost what I would like MP to look like (with a few graphical enhancements).

What I'm wondering, since I don't have the time at this very moment, was that a whole lot of work to integrate, or did it just plug in to the site (like uploading all the files to a folder)?  Was there a lot of custom coding involved?

I'm sure there are tutorials and such on their site, but I was just seeing if I could get the quick answers.  I'll have some time to look it over tomorrow, but I'm running short at the moment

Let me know when you can, cuz I'm really thinking about getting the MP site back up and running again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.