Site Update

Home Forums The Server Room Site Update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Ive been pondering what to do about the site lately.  I'd like to make more of it than what it is.  And there is certainly some things we can do to make MI more of a site than what we've done in the past.  Our problem has always been the “more info later” issue.  If we decide we're gonna do something, we obviously should do it in test first (pretty easy really).  But we should talk about what we want to accomplish, then look at whats out there in the OSS world (WordPress, Joomla, etc).  Im not opposed to a Wiki, but it would be a lot of extra overhead for creating static pages that any CMS could actually do.

My custom solution hasnt been worked on in months.  Kinda hit the back burner there for awhile.  I'd like to do more with it, but lately, I just dont have the time.

I wouldnt be adverse to doing something like WordPress, with a custom template, where we could each blog about certain things.  WordPress will let you create static pages, if we wanted to do Abouts or things like that. 

As I said, I'd like to do more with the site.  Ultimately, we need to come up with a goal and stick with it, at least, as time allows.

Lets discuss further at the Christmas Party or something.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Deciding to post this here, instead of in the MP thread, as this is going to probably be more of a brainstorming session for the back-end of the site.

I've spent a good part of the day over at http://www.htmldog.com/ reading info on CSS.  I've been pondering the last couple of days on maybe getting back in and updating (and possibly changing) the MP website.  I don't have any ideas for the content of the site yet, but I was thinking about redoing the site using XHTML and CSS, either using a template (like MT), or designing from scratch – haven't decided which yet.  I'd almost make the main section of the site part blog, to use for updating, because I just don't want to go back to the old way, updating and reuploading the index.html file.

I was also thinking about incorporating some kind of Wiki into the site (the overall MI site), to allow people to see why what is what, and where it came from (like a nice history of MI).  And, maybe even allow select members to update and modify it.

These are just all ideas; nothing concrete yet, but I might start looking into some of this newer web technology, and using it, instead of trying to fight it (hell, I just don't have the time for constant maintenance of an HTML 4 website anymore, and this stuff will make it easier).  I also might dig into some of my old stuff this weekend for ideas on a custom layout.

And Tim, I know I haven't discussed this in awhile with you, but just wondering if anything has been done in some time with the custom site you were building – probably not a lot as I know you've been busy.  Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or objections to what I've mentioned above, let me know.  As I said, this is purely brainstorming at the moment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.