Tech/Programming Topics

Home Forums Mightor Technologies Tech/Programming Topics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant

The only thing I can think of is as a tech topic is, why is windows media player so

fragile?  I have found that it will completely wack out and error all over the place if you change or install

the smallest things.  Such as adding a codec and suddenly it wont work again unless you reinstall

windows.  One problem I found recently was that I tried out the new IE Beta and after I installed it not only

did IE Beta crap out on the school websites im taking my online classes on but media player didn't work

anymore, iv uninstalled IEB and it still doesn

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Keep in mind that IE is still in beta.  The one thing that absolutely drives me

nuts are sites that havent developed IE proof CSS.  They tend to not display correctly and thats really a

tribute to Microsoft trying to set the standard.

Thats definitely an interesting topic, and is probably

going to require some research.  If you have some evidence of this, I'd certainly like to see it, and

maybe see if we can find a way to fix it.  Let me know.

Scott
    Participant

I took IEB off and I reinstalled media player but it just doesnt work online

anymore.  Codecs used to watch user created vids like animes usually do the same thing to the online media

player.

Gweg
    Keymaster

Hence the development of a more stable player, Media Player Classic.  Only

downfall, no plugin support for web browsers.  Tim, I'm also living proof that WMP isn't worth jack;

I haven't gotten it to work right in over 3 years, even after a clean install.  That would be a great

topic to write about.  I might have too look into it some once I get myself some free time.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I agree with what you both are saying in regards to WMP.  I havent used it

actively in quite a long time, as I just gave up on the software.  The problem with this is that I have no

basis for comparision.  1) I strictly use Winamp almost 99% of the time.  I use it to play DivX movies,

MP3s, CDs, and any other media.  The only time I really use WMP is when Im streaming something.  And I

dont stream too often, so it hasnt been a big deal, and also usually works. 2) My usage of media players is actually

pretty limited.  Im sure because of some of the things you guys are doing, that you may use it more than I

would.  However, I can list a couple of things that Ive had issues with and also have some ideas that I think

need to be verified.

Issues:
    Poor DVD support.  Plain and simple, Ive never gotten this to

work.
    Complicated Interface – I think the entire interface sucks and makes no logical sense.  But I guess

it depends on what you're trying to do with it.  I dont use it to manage a library of media because Im not

that picky. 

Confirm:
    Does Windows Media Player need DirectX in order to function

properly?  After reading through some forums, it wasnt clear whether it needed DirectX or not. 

Here's what Im thinking and maybe if anyone wishes to contribute, feel free to send an email to

mightortech@gmail.com.  There are tons of media players out there that people are using.  What might be

useful is an article comparing the major players, what some of the most common problems are and which one might be

best to use.  I know how everyone feels about Microsoft and I know that their track record with software really

isnt that good, but I'd certainly like to write something comparing other players.  Could be a WMP vs

Quicktime kind of thing.  Although, I really think one has to incorporate open source media players as

well.  What are people looking for in a media player? What are the most common problems?  What are the

requirements for each player?  Things of that nature. 

The article could be quite detailed if

we wanted it to be and perhaps even divide it into parts.

Ok, now Im just ranting.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

What Im looking for is specific topics that I can write about for my website.  I have several ideas

of some things I want to start writing about, but I'd really like to get some user input.  Keep in mind

that these should be tech related, which is a pretty broad range of topics, including software applications,

hardware (what to buy, whats good, whats not good, etc), networking tips/tricks/howtos, programming, etc. 

Also, if anyone's interested in writing, I'll be happy to accept anything that's been

written, as long as it grammatically and factually correct.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.