The power of rebooting

Home Forums Hardware The power of rebooting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, I have to agree with that, most of the time if I have a problem, I reboot

first.  Usually the problem is gone then, if not, it means something more serious is wrong, but that's for

another topic.  But, as Tim said, people need to try rebooting more.  That goes especially for people who

always leave their computers on.  Me for one, have never really liked that idea, my systems either run too hot

or are to loud to sleep with them on (cuz they are usually in the same room I sleep in).  So, I usually

don't have to reboot as often.  I'd say in average day, my system is on for about 12-16 hours. 

But, even not being on that long, I still have to reboot sometimes.

Scott
    Participant

Yes, I always reboot. I remember yesterday I started playing Call of Duty 2 after the

computer had been on for a while, the frame rate was terrible, so instead of being like a normal stupid computer

user(i.e. ZOMGZ MYS COMPUTERS IS TEH SUXORZ) I rebooted.  When I was back on my frame rate was silky smooth.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

LMAO!  Way to work in the L33t sP3@k into your posts.  If we had mod

points, I'd mod you up just for that.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

As I was thinking of things to add to the forum, one thing I couldnt help but think about was

support.  I know there are a ton of people who just dont understand these blasted machines.  Thats what

this is for.  That being said, I want to discuss a feature that many people seem to forget about when their

computer is on the fritz, the reboot.

When I was in college, I did a LOT of support for students within

the dorms and even for those who lived off campus.  Once I got my internship with Information Systems, business

really picked up.  I was always helping someone with a computer issue of some kind.  However, as I got

further and further into being the campus support bitch, I started figuring out that most of these problems were

easily fixed by rebooting.  Junior year, I was getting an insane amount of phone calls from people with

computer issues, 95% of which were easily solved by rebooting the computer.  It got so bad that I posted a note

on my dorm room exterior door that said 'Reboot before Knocking.'  You know what, it worked. 

People stopped bothering me as much.  For those who dont understand, let me explain further the power of

rebooting.

Rebooting the computer basically means powering down the system and restarting fresh. 

This clears out all memory so that when the computer comes back up, everything is relatively fresh.  After the

computer has been on for a long period of time, the computers memory becomes clogged with data that has not been

returned to the system properly.  In a perfect world, this would never happen, but realize that software is

written by humans and we're bound to make mistakes.  Anyway, its recommended that you reboot on a semi

often basis, say once a day or once a week, depending on how often you use your computer.  As it relates to

Windows, which anyone who has used Windows extensively knows that you have to reboot often, rebooting serves another

purpose.  There's this thing that runs in the background that Windows uses to maintain important

system-wide information used by the OS, as well as by other programs installed on the computer.  Its called the

registry.  The registry is simply a huge database full of data like locations of certain files and other

important information needed for software to function.  While it is not required to write software that uses

the registry, it does come in handy from time to time.  When installing software on a Windows based computer, a

reboot basically saves any data to the registry so that it can be used by the application once the computer has

restarted. 

While rebooting can sometimes seem like a pain in the ass, sometimes its necessary in

order to make things work properly.  Im not saying that there isnt a better way, because Im sure there

is.  Other operating systems write files containing important info, rather than writing to the registry. 

However, until someone comes up with the perfect solution, rebooting is the way to go. 

So if

you're running into a problem with your computer and you're not sure what to do first, REBOOT.  I can

almost guarantee you that anyone in a support role is going to ask you this first before going further in trying to

help you.  This is a way for you to be at least one step ahead of them, if you even have to contact them at

all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.