Vista/Hard Drive Installation

Home Forums Hardware Vista/Hard Drive Installation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, I've been dead for awhile, not to mention my computer as well.  It seems I have a never ending

nightmare with trying to keep a computer running long enough just to use it.  I haven't been feeling well

the past couple of days, and as you can see, I haven't been on the net in over a month.  I hope to fix

that eventually, as I've slacked on a lot things, and I need to get caught up on all my postings and updatings

to websites.

Account stuff; for now, I say just leave it as is.  Once we get back into managing the

site again, we'll figure out what to do with that.  I'm gonna try and be around more, but that's

getting hard for me.  Lately, I've been working on a lot of portfolio stuff, trying to update some of my

old models and animations.

I figure I should be around more next week, I hope.

Scott
    Participant

I'm not really doing anything, I'v got only one class and the teacher isn't giving us all that

much to do.  I really should be working on portfolio stuff, I started something a month ago but I haven't

worked on it in a while.  I stared making an environment but I only feel like making a character now and since

my class is character development I don't want to start making anything until its assigned.

I look

forward to hearing about how Vista runs, I'v seen a lot of articles (10 reasons to get vista, 10 reasons not to

get vista) there were a lot of good reasons to get it and most of the reasons not to get it were pretty lame. 

There were two reasons not to get it that I paid attention to, a lot of programs have issues with vista, Nero,

Symantec Anti virus, Firefox, and the other problem is that the licence can only be transfered to another computer

once before its useless.  There were a bunch of cool reasons to get it though, image based install – the DVD

holds a preinstalled image of windows so its a really quick install,  it has a 19,500 driver base so whatever

hardware you have it has the most up to date drivers for it,  this one made me laugh – sleep mode that actually

works,  an undelete function – a nice feature.  So be sure to tell us how it works and how long it took

you to crash or freeze it.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Yeah, like I said earlier, I understand that people are busy.  It happens.  I also understand the

desire to be AWAY from the computer.  And Greg, I feel your pain dude.  I hate it when there's a

never ending battle to keep your computer running.  It sucks huge monkey balls. 

As far as

Vista is concerned, technically, its kinda low on my list of priorities for awhile.  Im currently working on a

huge development project at the moment.  After that is my transition to tech, where Vista will be one of the

things I'll get to work with.  Ive seen those articles on Vista and a lot of the reasons to not get Vista

are lame.  However, I think once its been out long enough to get a service pack applied to it, it should be a

lot better.  One of the things I'll be looking to do initially is start turning off all of the glamorous

crap like aero and getting back to the classic mode.  Im pumped about the image based install. 

That'll make configuring Windows the way you want it a lot easier.  My biggest beef so far is that Vista

is supposed to take up 16 GB with a default install.  Thats crazy!!!!  Also I cant see upgrading my

computer to more than a gig of RAM and not being able to run decently is stupid.  At least right out of the

box.  One thing I am happy to finally see is that Vista now will prompt you if you dont have correct

permissions to escalate your permissions by typing in a username and password with the correct privileges. 

Linux and Unix have had that feature for awhile.  One thing Im also happy to see is that Microsoft is now

cracking down on third party software vendors writing out to the kernel.  In my opinion, communicating with the

kernel is one thing, but you shouldnt be allowed to write out to it.  That could cause serious problems. 

I wish they would have finished the WinFS though.  I think they could have done a lot of good with improving

the file system by use of a relational database.  Basically, they're saying that Vista doesnt have a lot

of features that arent already available for Windows XP (IE7, Windows Defender).  Mostly, its a lot of security

fixes and improvements, which I'll be interested to see.  Only problem is that in order to upgrade to

Vista, you better have a DVD-ROM handy, as its coming out on DVD.  Drivers are also going to be a huge issue,

but they usually are for new versions of Windows.  While Microsoft has included a lot of drivers, there is also

a good chance that older hardware, as well as lesser known hardware vendors, wont have compatible drivers right

away. 

As soon as I have more data, I'll post it.

Scott
    Participant

Hmm, i'm not sure how much space the current windows takes up but i'v only got 12 gigs left on my

hard drive.  I may need to figure out how to install my second hard drive on to this computer.  I tried to

put it in a few weeks ago when I was switching out my graphics card but I couldn't even figure out where the

original hard drive was…  ok it's an hour and a half later and I now know more about hard drives. 

The weird looking thing, half the thickness of a normal hard drive with some weird looking wires sticking out of it,

is a serial ATA hard drive and I now know my motherboard specs…  ok it's about another half hour later

and I know a lot about UltraDMA and I know my motherboard supports UltraDMA.  So now my question is can IDE and

serial ATA hard drives work at the same time?

Gweg
    Keymaster

Yes they can, last year I was running a SATA drive and 2 IDE drives in my computer.  The only thing I

can't remember is what the jumpers on the IDE drive should be set to.  I think, since you just have one,

that setting it to cable select should work just fine.  Because, once your computer looks for the boot record,

it should load up the SATA drive as the primary drive once Windows starts (I say that, cuz I've had

wrong hard drives and OS's booted before, back when I ran thinks like dual installs).

I also figured

that your computer is capable of UltraDMA, most computers within the last 5-6 years have been.  I know all mine

have been, even my old 133MHz PC (which I need to get out of the basement sometime and boot it back up, some things

I want to do in Win3.1 with it).

My biggest beef with Vista is that, right away, it's going to blow

— it'll crash all over the place, have massive security issues, and just plain buggy (as every new Win release

is).  Waiting for a service pack or two should help fix that.  Also, I don't like the idea of all the

resources is has to hog for no reason.  Yeah, I'd turn off all the MacOSX ripped off graphics/bubbly

hippie crap before I'd ever use it (as I do with XP), but even then, it's still going to hog an

unbelievable amount of resources.  Precious resources that I don't feel the need that I have to upgrade

just yet (like my RAM); and my video card is really good at running pretty much all of the current games right now

under XP, but it'll be a useless paperweight once I upgrade to Vista.

So, I'm probably gonna

wait awhile before even messing with Vista, probably around the time when GeForce10 cards are cheap, and quad core

processors are the norm.

Scott
    Participant

Cool I'm going to have to put that hard drive in.  I put it in before but attached it to the same

IDE cable my dvd was running from.  The hard drive showed up in device manager but not in My Computer.  I

guess i'll probably need to string out an ULTRA DMA cable from my motherboard to only go to the new hard

drive.  I think the jumper setting is set to slave on the HD.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

If you have both an SATA and an IDE controller, which alot of PC's have now, then your SATA should be the

primary channel, while your IDE will be the secondary channel, If you're trying to use both an IDE HDD and

another device, cable select will work.  However, its really a good idea to put the hard drive as the master

and the other device as a slave.  Or basically, so the hard drive is read first.  Since I believe the MBR

is going to look for operating systems in the order in which drives are read in the BIOS.  Its amazing what you

learn when things dont work.

The interesting thing about Vista is that they're already talking about

a service pack due out possibly later in the year.  However, they've already pushed back the next service

pack for XP, which is now slated for sometime in 2008, as Vista is more of a priority than XP.  Until then,

have fun patching XP with somewhere around 65 or so additional patches to SP2.  The first thing I plan on doing

when I get Vista is turning off all of the bells ans whistles that Microsoft keeps shoving down our throats.  I

want a classic environment.  The other yuppies running Vista can decide for themselves how they wish to

run.  I posted a summary of Vista requirements and whatnot on the MT site last night.  I'll be

interested in seeing what Vista does out of the box.  I would be super impressed if I didnt find some bug

within the first week.

Greg, I seriously need to get some time together to get my 133 back up and

running.  I miss the days of 3.1, when things actually worked and there was no registry, or group policy, or

user login.  Just plain old DOS.  Those were the days man.  “Ummm, how do you run

ScanDisk?”  Im thinking we need to have another building day where we just get together and put computers

together.  Wish my home office was big enough to support having all of that stuff though.  Been thinking

of building up one of my old 333's as well with 98.  Ive actually got a 333 at home running Win2k server

at the moment.  Im using it for DHCP, since the damn DHCP on my router stopped working a few months back. 

I may be in the market for a new router in the next few months.  Ive had mine for about 4 years and its on its

last leg.  I may try upgrading the firmware on it,but that means internet down time.

Scott
    Participant

I think I heard somewhere that the first SP for Vista was going to come out sometime in March, since

they've been working out the bugs since the unofficial Vista launch a few months ago. 

And yes

I learned quite a bit about hard drives yesterday.  It was pretty confusing when I looked up my hard drive, it

said Serial ATA, so I looked it up and the first sites I see say “ATA is just another name for IDE” so I

look at my hard drive and I'm like “the hell it is”.  Then I see ATA and Serial ATA are

completely different.  It has to be so complicated.

Scott
    Participant

I got the hard drive installed today and its working pretty well after tcolvinMI helped me figure out

formating. 

I took a picture of my

computer to show how nice alienware organizes the wires.  You'll notice the hard drive is in backwards,

thats because alienware strung all of the power cables around the back of the case.  I didn't feel like

opening the other side so I was only able to find one cable by the hard drive slots. It didn't stretch very far

out so I had to put the drive in and feel around to get the power cable in.

I have also noted on the

image the suspected zombie fan.  Its the only one I think it could be although it's awfully small to be

making such a loud groaning noise.  It doesn't come on very often but when it does it's loud.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Yeah, formatting using 2000 and XP is a little confusing.  You have to go into Disk Management, which

can be accessed several places, but can be found under Administrative Tools, Computer Management.  There's

an option in the tree on the left for Disk Management.  When putting in a new hard drive that hasnt been

formatted, it will recognize the disk as unallocated.  This means you have to set up a partition for it, which

can be the entire amount of the disk.  I believe it gives you the option from there to format the disk. 

If not, once you've partitioned it, if you right click on the partition, the option to format is there. 

Definitely not like the old days when you went out to DOS and typed format <<drive

letter>>: 

Scott
    Participant

Ah yes, I miss dos.  The only way to get your fix on these new computers is to

go into command prompt but its just not the same.  I remember you just type in run win and you get that awesome

8-bit windows splash screen to come up, and running games in dos was great even though it took quite a bit of

troubleshooting to get them to work at first.  Oh ya and I would always forget how to list directories in

columns instead of one long stream.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

A few thoughts:

Everythings become stagnant on the site as of late. 

Everyone must be hellabusy because I havent seen anyone post in at least a month.  Its funny how posts on this

forum seem to come in spurts.  Although, I do understand completely how it is to be busy, as I have been

myself.

Ive decided to halt the development of the Mightor Industries redesign until I have more time to

focus on it.  Greg, if you've got some free time, I'll be happy to start working on the design of the

site again, time permitting, but I really dont want to do anymore with it until we've got a good design laid

out.  In the meantime, the MI site is using blogger to power its pages.  There is a link to the forum on

that page, in case anyone runs across the site.

Ive also changed the look and feel of the Mightor

Technologies page.  Basically I got bored fighting with Joomla, so I decided to use WordPress instead.  So

far, Im much happier with how thats working out. 

Ive noticed a couple of new registrations on the

forum, but have not yet seen any posts.  I havent decided if Im going to allow the accounts to expire after a

certain period of time or not yet.  Some input on this might be helpful.  While I dont want to disable

accounts simply because of inactivity.  I also dont want people signing up and never posting.  This will

obviously become more difficult to manage as more users sign up, but in my opinion, if you're gonna register,

post something. 

In other news:
    Im working a lot right now, as we're getting ready to

move our software to support multiple stores.  This is taking up a good portion of my time.  In addition

to that, Ive decided to pick at InstallShield a little for automating our install process at work.  I'll

attempt to post some things on the MT site as I make progress.  Its slow at the moment since my focus is on

work development.

Vista's coming out soon.  And while I dont usually upgrade right away,

because of the need for it at work, I'll be upgrading as soon as I can get a hold of a copy.  I'll

post stuff for that as well.  If anyone comes across any reviews of Vista, feel free to post them on the forum,

as Im sure we're all interested in what Vista is capable of.

That is all….someone else post…

Tim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.