Web Site Design

Home Forums Mightor Publications Web Site Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

If you're planning on doing site designs, there are a few things that Ive been thinking about.

1) If you're going to be using Mightor Industries as an example, we've got a lot of work to do on the site.  Lets discuss ways to get this thing up and running soon.

2) In order to do business sites, you need to keep in mind what types of sites they may be asking for.  Retailers may want e-commerce type sites, or you may want to stick to informational sites only.  Thats up to you.  E-commerce solutions can get quite involved and complex.  Feel free to ask about any of this.  I'd be glad to help.

3) You're going to probably need a better skillset, which we've been talking about anyway, IE, learning CSS and XHTML.  Ive got the specs from W3C on CSS and XHTML.  Planning on reading through them over the next few days.

Let me know what you have in mind and I'll see how I can contribute.  May give us a reason to tag team the site, which would be nice.

Lets also discuss what exactly you're planning on posting to the site.  Not that I care what you post, but more for organizational purposes.  As well as solidity of the tools we're using.  We may want to consider evaluating what we have and figuring out how to move forward.

Gweg
    Keymaster

I know we discussed these things last night, but I think I'm going to post them, kinda of like making a note of all of this:

First of all, before I do any site designing, I'm going to have to have a good discussion with the client to see what they want.  And that can vary so much.  For example, a big company (like one would actually contact me), may what something very slick and professional, using all the tools such as CSS and XHTML.  On that, we team up and figure something out (since you know that better than me, I could do layouts).  This would probably require regular maintenence (assuming they want any).  Also, say a small business (example, a local business in Cambridge), may just want some kind of simple page that just explains what they do, has their logo, and contact information.  Something like that would be a cheap, simple layout that I could do in no time, that may require no maintenance.

Any place that wants a site, will have to get their own hosting service.  I don't feel we have the capabilities to it (I mean we could, but I don't recommend it).  And we all know that it's not that expensive to get hosted, as long as you pick the right service (GoDaddy.com <– plug).

As for what I'm uploading, it's stuff I've done in the past (ranging from old MP sites to stuff I've done in school), which shows simplicity and complexity (a lot of the MP pages are simple, and some of my school pages are more involved, like my Dodge Viper flash site).

So, that means, like you said, we need to get our butts moving on getting MI up to snuff.  I don't have much going on this afternoon (just got calc 1 at 6pm), so I'm going to start getting things organized and start working towards completion of the MP site (which is mainly getting the rest of the pages updated and uploaded).  I don't think the art section of my page will be completed anytime soon, cuz I'd really like to have an automated gallery to work with, but I don't know what I'm doing about that just yet.

So, I should be around most of the day, Tim; holler if you wanna discuss anything else.

I've kinda got into this mood now, and I'm really wanting to get things done (this is rare, so I might has well take advantage of it).

PS — Oh yeah, I need to get around to making some new, more professional looking banners, so we can incorporate the system site wide.

Mozgus
    Participant

You're hardly on AIM anymore Greg, but you seem quite active on here. 🙁

Also Tim, haven't talked to you in the longest time, but I wanted to let you know about my site in case Greg didn't tell ya:

http://www.stevemv.com

Gweg
    Keymaster

Steve, yeah, I've been extremely busy at school, busier than I would like to be, and I'm just not around on the internet that much or that often.  Just a few minutes every now and then to check the forum, not really fully active.  I will get back on AIM soon, which might be very soon, as I finally have some breathing room this weekend.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Ahh, being busy.  Dont I know that one.  You'll notice by the amount of info on the site that Greg and I both have been quite busy.  Between work and the gf, time is incredibly limited.  But any available time when my brain isnt fried from all of the other coding Ive been doing, I dedicate to the site.  Got some new technologies in the works for the site that should be pretty sweet.  Also currently learning XHTML and CSS, so thats keeping me busy as well.  Want to bring a certain organization and better coding to the web pages Im writing.

Parused your site, looks good.  Glad to see you're back in the vids again.  Yeah, hosting has gotten incredibly cheap over the years.  A hell of a lot better than what we had a few years ago.  Im not complaining, thats for sure.

Mozgus
    Participant

Heh, I wonder if I could buy a quick little layout off you soon then. I can't do this crap at all. I need help.

Gweg
    Keymaster

I've been considering, along with my computer repairing this summer, that I would also offer web designing services for local businesses that want something good looking for their website, without costing them a fortune.  I'm probably gonna be putting in an ad for that along with the ad I'm gonna be putting in for computer repair.  I'm in such a need for a job that any idea at this point sounds like a good idea.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna be uploading a lot of old pages that I did in the past, as examples of things that I have done.  Most will probably be the main page with a few subpages, as I'm not uploading all the sections of old pages, just the important parts.  I might even be designing some simple new pages as well.

So, Tim, don't be surprised if a lot of stuff starts popping up in the http://FTP.&nbsp; I'm going to try to keep everything as organized as I can.  I probably won't start til the weekend, as I've got a lot to this week, and this cold isn't making it any better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.