Weekly Topic Idea

Home Forums Lounge Weekly Topic Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant

I like all of the things Microsoft has changed and

added to Vista, so I would really just like to

see a stable and secure Vista. I would also like to see an end to the registry, I'm getting really tired of

having to reinstall Windows when it gets old and the registry starts acting up.
    For security I think the only

way to get ahead is to add some kind of A.I. to the security systems of computers. You cant really expect to get

ahead with security when all you do is just wait until something happens and then fix the damage and patch the hole,

you need a system that can retroactively repel new threats and repair problems. They might already have programs

like this and if they do they need to make them better and available to the masses. I'm sure there are other

things I would like to add, I'll have to think about it more.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

This is a good article and there's a lot of useful things mentioned in the article that I mentioned

in my previous post.  however, Im not sold on the super fetch.  It seems to me to be just another level of

paging, bringing things into the cache.  The one thing I forgot to mention last night is that the perfect OS

shouldnt not take up a bunch of system resources.  This seems to be the biggest problem for operating systems

nowadays.  XP required more system resources in order to operate, and Vista will be no exception.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I just came across a sweet article from Slashdot about Microsoft not allowing a backdoor for the Vista

OS.  This is exactly the idea Microsoft needs to be taking.  I like seeing Microsoft taking a better

stance on security.  We'll see if it actually pays off when Vista is released. 

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+…..g=nefd.top

Scott
    Participant

Ha ha ya that

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

I read in one of the other topics on the forum about a proposed weekly topic.  So with that in mind,

I'd love to hear some input from the community on what the ideal operating system would be.  We all have

qualms with Windows and how poorly it works.  However, we all know that Windows does have some good

features.  What sorts of things would you consider having in the “perfect” operating system?. 

Here are some of the things I would absolutely love to see.  Some of these ideas are already being

done here and there by other operating systems or other companies.

– Do not integrate the UI with the

kernel.  Basically what happens, and we see this with Windows and Mac OS X, when the UI crashes, we have to

reboot.  The *nix OS's have the right idea here by not having the user interface integrated with the

kernel.  If the UI crashes, you end up at a command prompt where the service can be restarted.

Improved handling of services.  Some services cannot be turned off and on based on user permissions and other

programs using certain services.  My thought on this is that services should list what programs are using

them.

– More generic drivers.  Nvidia has the right idea here.  When you go to their site to

download a driver, you get one driver for every model of video card they've ever produced.  The downside

to this, the file is insanely huge.  The upside, you dont have to be concerned that you dont have the right

driver.  Also, drivers of this nature should be able to detect what hardware you have and install only the

files needed for that specific hardware, that way hard drive space isnt being taken up by unnecessary files.

– An efficient, well designed database to store data needed by third party programs and the OS.  This

already exists in Windows (we know it as the registry), and its a good idea, in theory, because it eliminates the

use of INI files for storage, which can be spread all over the place and become unorganized fairly quickly. 

However, i would love to see some usefulness in some of the values of the registry.  It shouldnt have to be a

science to change the registry.  Also, the database should have a specific edit function that alerts the user

that prior to all changes, a backup is going to be made, automatically, in case the user screws something up. 

There should be some kind of preview feature, like with the display settings in Windows, so that if something doesnt

take, you can revert back to a previous setting without destroying the build.

– From a programming

standpoint, incredibly efficient code of the core kernel and user interface can be the only way to go so that the OS

isnt completely bloated.  One thing I hate is a 1.5 gig install for an OS, where most of the crap I dont even

use!

– The User Interface must be user friendly, returning useful errors.  Having error codes is ok,

as long as the user is also given an explanation on what the code means, rather than just seeing “error 1234:

Contact Support”

– Organized and reliable documentation: This probably doesnt fall under the OS

functionality wise, but it does make a great deal of difference when trying to figure things out.

Improved networking tools: Employ a simple networking type wizard for those users who only want to set up a basic

network, as well as having an advanced set of features that an administrator can use to set permissions.  This

is one of the things I absolutely hate with XP.  If you're an administrator, it can sometimes be difficult

to set permissions on a WinXP Pro system when simple networking is set up. 

– Overall ease of

use:  If its not easy to use, no one is going to want to use it.  This is Linux's big problem right

now.  Linux is stable and offers a lot of the same things Microsoft is offering, with exception to ease of

use.  Linux can be incredibly difficult to learn how to use if not very technical.

– Limit rebooting

to core memory dumps.  This goes back to the internal database for the OS I mentioned earlier.  Only if a

major crash occurs should the system perform a reboot, or if the user requests one.  However, if software is

being installed where a change is made to some “registry” then a reboot should not be necessary, and is

not necessary in a *nix based system.

– Security – This is a tough one because once you do something to

try to make a system secure, someone comes along and figures out a way to circumvent the security.  Antivirus

and spyware solutions I believe are not enough.  However, I do not yet have a good solution.  If anyone

has any suggestions, Id certainly love to hear them.

Ok, thats all I have so far.  This should give

everyone something to chew on for awhile.  Keep in mind when replying to this to keep all systems in mind, not

just Windows.  Although, Windows does have its downfalls and its good to beat on.  But we're talking

about an advanced OS in todays world, not a command line OS from the 80's.  While the CLI is wonderful, it

does not appeal to the average user and it really isnt “pretty.”  Im definitely interested to hear

what everyone is looking for.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.