Windows 7 MP3 Bug

Home Forums Operating Systems Windows (All Versions) Windows 7 MP3 Bug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gweg
    Keymaster

Ha, figures, reminds me of the nasty video bug in the first Vista release, the one where it would crash if you tried to watch a video after you came out of Sleep.  I've had too many close calls with my music before (had XP completely rewrite all the index pointers of all my MP3's one time, scared the living crap outta me as they wouldn't play anymore, or were jumbled up with other songs — Knoppix fixed that though), so I may hold off on even attempting to play with the Beta, unless I would just disconnect my slave before playing with it.  120GB of music takes a long time to back up, and I just don't have the time right now.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

If after installing the beta, you immediately update before doing anything with your MP3's, you should be in good shape.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

In case anyone was thinking of downloading the Beta of Windows 7 today, I just wanted to alert you to a bug that has already been reported and fixed.  Below is the text of the issue.
    KB961367

MP3 files
    When MP3 files are added (either manually or automatically) to either the Windows Media Player or the Windows Media Center library, or if the file metadata is edited with Windows Explorer, several seconds of audio data may be permanently removed from the start of the file. This issue occurs when files contain thumbnails or other metadata of significant size before importing or editing them. To avoid this, take the following steps:

To protect your MP3 files
    1. Before you install this Beta release, back up all MP3 files that might be accessed by the computer, including those on removable media or network shares.
    2. Install the Beta release of Windows 7; then install this update (KB961367).

If you do not want to install the update, you can avoid this issue by setting all MP3 files that might be accessed by the computer to read-only before starting either Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center or before editing MP3 metadata with Windows Explorer. To do this, in Windows Explorer, find the files, right-click them, click the General tab, and then select the Read-only check box.  Once you have installed the update, you can safely reset the read/write status of your MP3 files to your preference.

Such is the life of beta software.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.