Windows Vista

Home Forums Operating Systems Windows (All Versions) Windows Vista

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Here's the wikipedia article on Windows Vista, which has along with it some reviews and screenshots of

the OS, although I dont know how current they are.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W…..dows_Vista

Gweg
    Keymaster

Yeah, my thing is Microsoft needs to quit trying to be like everyone else (hint: make something unique, like

Tim said).  Instead of ripping off other people's software and trying to add a bunch of USELESS features,

they ought to try to make an OS that actually runs STABLE, and secure.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Ok, so sometimes the comments on Slashdot are better than the actual article.  I came across this in an article where Microsoft is supposedly allowing Vista users to downgrade to XP for another six months.  This was one of the comments that just made me laugh like a little girl.

Glad to see another member of the “We'd tried Vista and guess what? It sucks.” club. Meetings are on Thursday,coffee and donuts are in the back. I have a nice little repair shop,therefore I try to keep up with the “latest and greatest” from MSFT because I know I'm going to have to work on them. I have run Vista Beta,Vista RTM,and Vista SP1. Here is my impressions:

SLOW,Jeebus Tap Dancing Christ is this pile slow! Sure if you run it on a dual core with 4Gb of RAM it boots okay(still slow,just not as slow) but lets be honest here:It is an OPERATING SYSTEM. Anybody remember that word? It means it should give programs access to your hardware and get the f*ck out of the way. Nobody buys the OS to stare at the desktop. When a 3GHz with 2Gb of RAM is not enough horse to keep the OS from being slow,you know there is a problem.

Networking: I have 5 machines on my home network-2 XP,1 Win98SE,1 Win2K,and the machine that was running Vista(now XP,Thank the Gods). Can you guess which one would “lose” the network? Which one that would have the network just “die” and refuse to connect without a hard reboot? Give you a hint,it wasn't the Win98SE. And don't even get me started on file transfers through the LAN. A file that would take Win2K a few minutes? Go get some coffee and start working on the crossword buddy.

I could go on and on with how many ways Vista sucked,but thankfully I don't have to. You know why? Because the folks bringing their Vista machines to me DON'T want Vista fixed. Nope. They want it gone. As in “I hate this thing,please get it off before I throw it out a window AAARRGGH!”. I know a guy who actually did that with his laptop after Vista seized and ate a document he had been working on for hours. Whizzed it out a 3rd story window,whipped out his CC,and went down the street and bought the nicest Macbook pro he could find.

For those that doubt go to CompUSA or Bestbuy and buy whatever Vista machine is on sale(like 90% of the public does),take it home,do NOT add any RAM or other upgrades,and see how quick you want to pull your hair out. I'm guessing it'll be like my average customer,that is 3 days. Sure you can build a tricked out multicore rig with sh*tloads of RAM and make it run Vista okay. But why the hell you you NEED to? It is an OS people! You know you have problems when I tell my customers Vista is an option on new builds and I get a loud “EEEEWWW!”,like I let a raunchy fart in front of them. Or when people bring in their machines and say “I hate my new machine,can you fix it?” and I say “You got Vista'd,didn't you.” and they hang their head and go “Yep. REAL hard. Please put XP on it,please!”.

So the few of you that got lucky and the moon and the stars were aligned and you did the Ballmer monkey dance and all the drivers worked beautifully,be happy. Believe me,you are the exception,NOT the rule. And sorry about the length,it is hard to put the offal of Vista into words without adding length. Otherwise you get “Liar! Vista is beautiful and you should do the Ballmer monkey dance of joy!” trolls coming out of the wordwork. Just put any of the problems I had with Vista into Google and you'll find I'm far from alone.

tcolvinMI
    Keymaster

Ok, so today I came across an article on Slashdot about Windows Vista Beta 2.  It looks like Microsoft

is making decent progress, but I just have so many issues with what Microsoft is doing with Vista.  Not that

its bad that they're adding features.  I think my biggest issue is that Microsoft seems to be back to

their old ways, ripping off of other people's software.  I couldnt help but notice how much Vista looks

like OS X.  This really bothers me for two reasons.  1) Create something unique.  The design has

already been done, move on and stop trying to be superior in EVERYTHING.  2) Im afraid that the hardware its

going to require to run Vista is going to be crazy.  Who really needs that much computing power, besides me and

Greg.  I mean, seriously, for some shmoe (not sure I spelled that right, but who cares) who is just writing

emails and preparing documents, what do they need with an OS that allows them to manipulate music and video and flip

between screens easily.  I just cant see much of the new feature set of Vista as useful in the business

world.  Sure, us nuts who like getting deep into the software will have a good time hacking away at it, but I

really think that Microsoft should really concern themselves with making sure that this revision is more secure than

any other version of Windows.  Although, I seriously doubt that will be the case.  I think I may just wait

to run Vista until the first service pack comes out, just to be safe.  The only way I'll be running Vista

before that is if Im forced to at work. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.